Amy Speaks About Family Tragedy

By Alice Walker Alice.Walker@People.Co.Uk

Brave X Factor star Amy Connolly opened her heart to The People about the family tragedy that left judge Cheryl Cole in tears on last night's show.

Amy, 19, was devastated by the death of her mother when she was just seven and was brought up by her devoted dad David.

She dreamed of a singing career since childhood. And after she took the first step by getting on X Factor, delighted David told her: "Your mum would be so proud of you."

Amy - who wowed the judges last night - said: "I had a tough time when Mum died but Dad has always been there for me.
"He's been like my mum and dad in one, we've got a really close relationship. I really want to make him proud of me.

"I couldn't believe I made Cheryl cry. I think she was trying hard not to but she just couldn't help herself. I told them about my mum and my dad and everything and she was really emotional."

After Amy's tearful rendition of Faith Hill's There You'll Be, deeply-moved Cheryl hugged her and said: "It sounds like you've been through a lot. I thought you were amazing. I believed every word and I loved it."
Even hard-to-please Simon Cowell said: "You surprised me. I didn't think you'd be as good as that."

The ITV1 talent show judges had no hesitation in sending Amy to the bootcamp stage of the competition. But getting this far has been a long road for the girl from Watford, Herts. Her mum Rosemarie's death from cancer was a savage blow for her and dad David.

She said: "My mum had breast cancer before I was born and was told she probably wouldn't be able to have children. She and Dad had to have IVF to have me.

"Unfortunately, the cancer returned to the other breast. Then they found a brain tumour that had gone undetected for years. They removed it but it was too late - the cancer took over her body. I know it was a really awful time for my Dad because it was such a long illness.

"He talks abut her all the time and we often laugh at the funny memories. We visit her grave often. He says I remind him a lot of my mum - especially the way I tell him off!"

David once had dreams of making it in the music industry himself and used to play in a band around pubs and clubs. But he had to give all that up to look after Amy.
After finishing her GSCEs at 16, she went to college to study singing.

And when she completed the course last year she knew she wanted to make a career of it.
She is working as a receptionist but hopes X Factor will be the break she needs - as much to fulfil her dad's dreams as her own.

Amy said "It means so much. Dad loves music too and loved being in a band. I would love to live out the dream for both of us.

"Dad tells me I get my musical side from him and Mum. She had a good voice as well."
Retired David said: "When she sings it brings a tear to my eye. She has such a beautiful voice."
He was so excited about seeing his daughter's TV debut he told everyone he knew that it was on.
Amy said: "He went round everyone - all his friends. Making him proud of me makes all the hard work worthwhile."